Sunday, September 03, 2006

Grace and James 3: The topic lately

I think most people will agree with me that our lives are very relational…and with relationships (most relationships) come communication, sacrifice and grace to name a few. Without these things, I think relationships struggle and sometimes fail. But why wouldn’t you give all of these things in a relationship? It seems to me that if you want to be in a relationship with someone, you will give your all or else what’s the point?
But in reality this is rarely the case. Let me be the first to admit that I am not very good in relationships. When one relationship is at its best, it seems others are not so much. And when I feel I have great conversations with one person, the words are lacking with someone else. I truly wish I could be one of those (whoever that may be) who are good at relationships...
The reason for this blog is because someone very dear to my heart has questioned me about some relationships and how I treat others, which in turn made me question it myself. He started off saying the way I talk to my sisters is terrible and rude and not needed. My reply (or excuse) was that is just how we speak to each other, its normal in my household. And to be honest…I didn’t realize that although it truly was how I was brought up, it is also very much an excuse. It’s not ok to open my mouth and scream bad words back at my sister when she loses her temper. That won’t get anything solved (I sound like my parents…weird). But at the same time I feel the need to stand up for myself when I am being put down or yelled at. Ok, but then I think about the times I initiate the conversation in a rude manner…which is more times than not. I should really work on that, I should be graceful. Maybe it will rub off…
What amazes me most is that I can talk to a friend or even a complete stranger with a peaceful tongue and go to my own sisters and start a fight…Something I need to work on. Something that inspired me:
James 3:9-12~ 9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.
I owe many thanks to that dear person who suggested that I show some grace when I speak to people, especially my sisters. And that sometimes I need to sacrifice my own pride to do this. He also showed me that not even he has perfected this task as he shook his fist in anger at the driver in front of him after murmuring some not-so-graceful words…we are all human.

No comments: